Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Baby Book Curse


Many new parents are suckers for baby books. Like all men, I am not a fan of baby books and choose not to read them unless something crops up. During the 9 months of labour, this nonchalant attitude towards the discourse by baby knowledge thru' literature was interpreted as - well, nonchalent. I prefer ‘on-the-job’ practical training, and to-date I manage to survive without them. And baby books almost cost me my baby’s life. When baby En came back from the hospital, he had slight jaundice. Following strictly to the baby book, we decided not to feed him other liquids while my wife breastfed him despite protest from the confinement lady. Well, with no liquid intake to wash out the bilirubin, his jaundice rose to dangerous levels and he had to be admitted to the hospital on the 3rd night. We were so guilty. The nurse scolded us for not going on instincts, and said that baby books are written by and for “ang-mohs” (Caucasian mothers) who naturally have a ready source of breast milk than Asian mothers. Well, the baby book should have disclaimer! Posted by PicasaPhoto by Attitude Photography

No comments: